Thursday, October 16, 2008

Karnell's Drumming

So for those of you that may not know a lot about me, my husband, Karnell is an amazing drummer. He has been playing for 29 years!!! He's been playing longer than I've been alive! Well, since he is such an amazing drummer he decided to try competitive drumming. Every year there is a HUGE drum off held at Guitar Centers all around the US. It's the biggest drum competition in the world!

Karnell has been in the competition 3 times now. He first played in KC... he didn't even place. Then last year he competed here in Springfield and WON!!! He won the store finals, got some really cool prizes and off to Districts he went...or should I say we went (to Denver, CO). Well that's as far as he got, he didn't win Districts.

Well, this year he decided to compete again. We were very hopeful that he would make it to Districts again this year, and even on to Regionals. Karnell had been practicing for months on this really awesome and totally unique routine. I would sit there and time him... because he only had 3 minutes, and I would also critique him. You know, let him know how it truly sounded, and what he should do to make it better.

So the rules are you have to make it past store prelims, and then compete again in the store finals. Well, Karnell was off to a great start because he won the store prelims. That meant that he would have to come back on October 14 and compete again. This time it would be with all the winners and runner ups from all 3 weeks (6 people total). Well, when October 14 came, he was at a slight advantage because one of the drummers injured themselves and couldn't compete. So, next thing I knew they were drawing numbers to see which order they would play. Karnell was #4. He hates going towards the end, because he hears how everyone else is playing... and it puts him on edge.

Well, needless to say, Karnell didn't win this year. We were both shocked! We were not planning on him losing! I still think that Karnell did an amazing job! So you tell me what you think... Have a great day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry, I am sure he should have won!! plus you could have headed back out on a mini vaca...I think you are awesome and I love it when you post! Have a great day!