Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What the Heck...

So, yes, I would admit that I'm not super old, but I'm old enough to know a little bit. And I would say that the little that I know, kinda goes a long way. You are probably asking, what the heck is she talking about? I'm talking about life. Life in general. American society has taught us that there are certain "steps" to life...and if you follow these steps then you will have obtained "success". Well, I'm here to tell you that I followed the "steps" but don't feel "successful".

So what does "success" mean? Is it a state of mind, or is there more? To tell a little bit about myself... Nothing has ever came to me easy. I've had to work extremely hard, for what others would've accomplished effortlessly. I've come to the realization that that's how it will always be. If I fight against it, it only makes it harder. So I'm completely fine with working hard, it makes me appreciate it.

Now, having said that, I do believe in people getting a "break". You know, that once in a lifetime opportunity. For example, celebrities, most of them got a "break". It doesn't mean that they don't work extremely hard at what they do, it just means that they got an opportunity that no one else got. So my question is, how do I position myself so that opportunities can come my way?

I 100% believe in being in the right place at the right time. I guess when it all boils down to it, I'm tired of "just making it". I'm working really, really hard "just to make it". When will there be a time where I am doing fine? And for that matter, when will I obtain a status that I'm comfortable with? I understand that comfort is in the eye of the beholder, but if making sure I can enjoy life is asking too much, then someone please explain to me that struggling, is the inevitable...

Here's a great analogy. A car. Let's say you have this old, beat up car. Whenever you turn the ignition it revs really high all the time, even when it's in neutral. Common sense would say that the car is working to hard...you would take it into the shop to get it fixed. A car is a well oiled machine. All the parts work in concert, so that you can get to your destination effortlessly. If this particular car issue keeps happening, eventually you will give up, and "invest" in a better car. Why? Because you don't want to struggle with the headaches that car's give. You want to just get in your car, start the engine, put it in drive, and get from A to B without troubles.

That's all I'm asking for... getting from A to B without troubles. Now, I do understand that natural challenges are going to come. I have no problem with that...comes with the territory. But there is a difference between a challenge, and a threat. Right now, I'm being threatened. I guess in the end this is a desperate cry for...HELP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think being a young woman in the workplace sets you up for this. I know I feel it. I also think (like the car analogy) that sometimes women just have to work at a higher speed to prove we're good. I remember my mom telling me when I was a kid that I was going to have to do twice the work for half the credit in order to 'make it'. Now I understand what she was talking about!

Pep and Charley are dandy! What did Karnell think of the pictures?