Thursday, June 18, 2009

New York




Ok, so many of you may not know, but Karnell and I are planning a trip to go to New York. We have some friends that live in Jersey that we will be staying with, so we don't have to pay for a hotel. Karnell and I are super pumped. We haven't been on an official vacation since our honeymoon, almost 4 years ago!

I'm just couldn't wait to see Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Central Park, Lion King on Broadway, China Town, Little Italy; I could go on and on!

Karnell and I were able to take this wonderful vacation because of some workman's comp money he is getting from a burn on his arm. So this is a "not out of our pocket" vacation! Those are the best kind!

Well, all of our hopes and dreams came to a screeching hault as of yesterday. Yesterday I remembered that I needed to get the tags renewed on my car. No biggie, all I needed were tax receipts from 2007 and 2008, and a current inspection. So I went online to pull up the receipts to find that I DIDN'T PAY THEM FOR BOTH YEARS!!!! Can you believe that?! I definitely had an "I'm not a grown up yet" moment. I thought the taxes that you pay for your car payment was personal property taxes... well, no it's not... it's call SALES TAX... DUH! Not only that, but the taxes were in Kansas City... I didn't know you had to register your car when you move!

So when I first called the Kansas City people (that's the technical term) they told me I owed a GRAND!!! But I wasn't living in KC at the time, so I then got on the phone with the Springfield people (another technical term) and found out how much I really owed. Not quite a grand, it's a couple hundred less, but still... New York is in jeapordy!

So, the first thing I did, I cried! Then I pulled myself together and called Karnell. I knew he would be upset; but to be honest, he handled the intial shock quite well! When I went home I tried to think of things I could sell in order to get extra money... So far, I've sold a mirror. After work today, I'm gonna see if I can get some good money for some antique earrings.

I know that this seems a little crazy, but my life for the past 2 years has been crazy and very unstable, so I really need this vacation. Please pray that I find a way to get to New York! If nothing else at least pray that I do a little better at being an adult!

1 comment:

Bridget KD said...

You know what's crazy? I had the EXACT same scenario (minus the trip to NY) when Andy and I first got married. Lo and behold, I went to get my plates and I hadn't paid taxes for two years! It was a time when Andy was out of work and I was not making much at my job. We were under a lot of stress for a while until we cobbled together enough money to pay it!

So, in short, don't feel dumb. I did the same thing, and I bet other people do, too.